Friday, January 21, 2011

"I don't associate with non-christians"

A quote I've been hearing alot lately is "I don't associate with non-christians". To me, this is a very odd quote, but it really struck home recently as to WHY I find this quote to be so upsetting. I got involved in a conversation.

Now, there's a very important piece of information you need to know before hand. As awesome as I am, as totally rocking cool as I am, as much as my friends might tell you that I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread (and I am) it just so happens that I have a huge failing. See, I'm a dick.

Anyway, I was approached by a gentleman who wanted to "share the good word". Now, because I'm a dick, I heckled him a little bit and then we got to actully talking. He told me that his calling in life is to "share the word of God and guide the people of this country to his loving embrace." Now, this in and of itself makes him sound a little crazy. I don't mind a little Yay God! every now and then, but it needs to be phrased in a way that doesn't make it sound like you've been brainwashed. But what floored me was that not two minutes later he also uttered the dreaded quote that I hear from so many -- "I don't really associate with non-christians".

Ok, so you expect people to convert to christianity because you're just so darn cool that I desperately want to be your friend? I dunno, it was always my understanding that you were expected to lead by example, be a happy and successful person, and then associate with the non-believers and SHOW them just how awesome God is. I dunno, call me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment